Thursday, July 1, 2010

"Cézanne" by Gertrude Stein

CEZANNE

    The Irish lady can say, that to-day is every day. Caesar can
say that every day is to-day and they say that every day is as
they say.
    In this way we have a place to stay and he was not met
because he was settled to stay. When I said settled I meant
settled to stay. When I said settled to stay I meant settled to
stay Saturday. In this way a mouth is a mouth. In this way if
in as a mouth if in as a mouth where, if in as a mouth where
and there. Believe they have water too. Believe they have that
water too and blue when you see blue, is all blue precious
too, is all that that is precious too is all that and they meant
to absolve you. In this way Cézanne nearly did nearly in this
way Cézanne nearly did nearly did and nearly did. And was
I surprised. Was I very surprised. Was I surprised. I was sur-
prised and in that patient, are you patient when you find
bees. Bees in a garden make a specialty of honey and so does
honey. Honey and prayer. Honey and there. There where
the grass can grow nearly four times yearly.

 
Source of the text - Gertrude Stein, Writings 1903-1932.  New York: The Library of America, 1998, p.494.

TJB: Cubist dualistic. It has great grammar & rhythm via short vowels, repetition & many rhymes on day, blue, he & there; so how can it not mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Followers