Monday, December 4, 2023

"I never saw a Moor" by Emily Dickinson

(1) [Poem as written by the poet on a fragment of stationery]





(2) [Text from Franklin's variorum edition]


I never saw a Moor.
I never saw the Sea -
Yet know I how the Heather looks
And what a Billow be - 

I never spoke with God
Nor visited in Heaven - 
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the Checks were given - 



Source of the text - (1) Emily Dickinson Archive: An Open Access Website for the Manuscripts of Emily Dickinson, http://edickinson.org, Amherst Manuscript # A 237, page 1. (2) The Poems of Emily Dickinson: Variorum Edition, Volume II, edited by Ralph W. Franklin. Cambridge, MA: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1998, p. 756.

TJB: Billow-talk; epistemology in quatrains.  As a proof that God exists, this is wanting; as a verse-assertion of faith, well, fine. What is a billow?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Followers