Friday, November 16, 2018

"To Lucasta, Going to the Wars" by Richard Lovelace





                        SONG.
           Set by Mr. John Laniere.
TO LUCASTA, Going to the Warres.

                             I

Tell me not (Sweet) I am unkinde,
    That from the Nunnerie
Of thy chaste breast, and quiet minde,
    To Warre and Armes I flie.

                            II

True; a new Mistresse now I chase,
    The first Foe in the Field;
And with a stronger Faith imbrace
    A Sword, a Horse, a Shield.

                           III

Yet this Inconstancy is such
    As you too shall adore;
I could not love thee (Deare) so much,
    Lov’d I not Honour more.



Source of the text - The Poems of Richard Lovelace: Lucasta, etc.  London: Hutchinson & Co., 1906, p. 18.

TJB: Patronizing patriot. The poet patiently mansplains to his boo why he’d rather be out killing & maiming. Whether we hear irony is all on us.






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Followers