Friday, November 13, 2015

"The Fish and the Crocodile" attributed to Mirabai

The Fish and the Crocodile

When Nand's son with his dark face appeared to me,
I forgot about the world and its duties. I went out of
      my mind.
A crown of peacock feathers opened on his forehead,
And I saw the spot of saffron which made my eyes
      glad.
Light caught on his earring; his hair curls fell over his
      cheek,
Like fish who crawl out of a pond to meet a crocodile.
My Lord has entered the play, and the world is
      amazed.
Mira says: I dedicate myself to every arm and leg of
      this Lord.



Source of the text - Mirabai: Ecstatic Poems.  Versions by Robert Bly and Jane Hirshfield.  Boston: Beacon Press, 2004, p. 8.  This poem was translated by Robert Bly.

TJBExtraordinary blazon-metaphor: a cheek like earth, lock of hair like fish crawling on land, the lover’s mouth perhaps like the crocodile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers